Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/customer/www/adv4life.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/newstube/functions.php on line 1651
There are many things you need to know what to do and how to handle certain situations by the time you leave home.
Here is what you need to know:
- How to manage money. Get a debit-type credit card and put a certain amount of money on it weekly or monthly. Learn how to budget and manage money. You won’t get it right away, as you will likely spend it all quickly. But, over time, you will figure it out. Don’t wait until you leave home to start learning this.
- How to solve a problem with a teacher. Don’t have your parent step in and rescue you every time you have an issue with a teacher. You must learn on your own how to stand up for yourself and be proactive in communicating with your teachers.
- How to deal with your emotions. All of them. Even pain and anger. It is necessary to be allowed to feel your feelings and to learn how to cope and express yourself appropriately.
- How to clean up and do laundry. Stop having your mother clean up after yourself. You are old enough to make your own bed, hang up your towel, and put your clothes in the hamper. Know how to do laundry and how to put it away. Clean up after yourself in the kitchen and even do all the dishes. Nobody will be there to do if for you when you leave home.
- How to cook some basic meals. Don’t wait another day. Start learning now. Otherwise, you will eat fast food for every meal when you leave home. Learn simple, healthy meals on Kate’s Kitchen with Teens
- Lastly, and most importantly, you need to know how and when to ask for help. Whether you need help academically, socially, financially, or emotionally, you need to know whom to call and when. You need to know that there is no shame in asking for help; rather it is a sign of maturity to recognize when you need help.
Fostering independence and functionality are necessary life skills that you must develop before you leave home. Don’t forget how crucial this is to your overall success.